NSAC: UFC interim champ Jon Jones positive for 2 estrogen blockers, receives temporary suspension
The Nevada State Athletic Commission today confirmed the substances for which Jon Jones tested positive prior to his ill-fated title unifier with light heavyweight champ Daniel Cormier at UFC 200.
Jones came back positive for hydroxy-clomiphene, „an anti-estrogenic agent” and „letrozole metabolite,” an „aromatase inhibitor,” NSAC attorney Caroline Bateman said today during a hearing in Las Vegas. The substances, which are both banned year-round by the World Anti-Doping Agency, are consistent with the type named by Jones’ ex-training partner and opponent, Rashad Evans, who first claimed the interim champ tested positive for estrogen blockers.
Estrogen blockers can potentially act in tandem with performance-enhancers by helping to mitigate their side effects, and are also thought to restart natural testosterone production.
A temporary suspension placed on Jones’ Nevada fight license was subsequently extended by a unanimous vote, while a formal hearing is expected for September or October. Jones has retained noted anti-doping attorney Howard Jacobs, who’s previously defended MMA fighters Sean Sherk, Alexander Shlemenko, and, most recently, Tim Means. Jacobs aided UFC middleweight Means during his ultimately successful appeal to the promotion’s anti-doping partner, the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).
USADA tested Jones (22-1 MMA, 16-1 UFC) out-of-competition on June 16 ahead of his fight with Cormier (17-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Three days prior to the July 9 event, the „A” sample of his test came back positive for a banned substance. Jones was removed from the card and notified of a potential anti-doping violation by USADA, who also forwarded the findings to the NSAC. Jones tearfully denied knowingly using any banned substances, with his management pointing to tainted supplement use as the potential cause of the positive test.
The result was confirmed when the „B” sample of Jones’ urine specimen was tested. Cormier went on to fight former UFC middleweight champion at UFC 200 Anderson Silva and won via unanimous decision.
An angry UFC President Dana White said he isn’t talking to Jones any longer and suggested the fighter should „clean house” with his representatives.
„Listen, I’m not the biggest Jon Jones fan right now, but I truly believe that he did take a supplement that had (banned) stuff in it, and it wasn’t intentional,” he said. „I truly believe that.
„But at the same time, come on, OK? You’re 28 years old, and you’re probably the greatest talent to ever step foot in this sport, right? Call USADA and tell them what supplements you’re taking. You’ve already been through this history of just absolute madness. Why did you – forget about doing it to us – why would you do this to yourself?”
Jones, whose positive test was the latest in a series of troubles outside the cage, has been mostly silent since his positive test. After being scratched from the card, he flew home to his adopted hometown of Albuquerque, N.M., where he trains at Jackson-Wink MMA.
On Instagram, the interim champ was hopeful his life would turn around.